Friday, June 13, 2008

Hey Rosetta! (and Jon and Roy)

Jon and Roy opened up (barefoot) and were a mix of acoustic and drums or bongos. A very Jack-Johnson feel to it that got old rather quick (and lasted far too long). (4.5/10)

I bought the CD before they started because I'm sort of obsessed with these guys right now. I'm not sure what it is - the song Another Pilot struck me and became a fave a couple months ago (from their EP Plan Your Attack). Desperately I searched for mp3's to no avail (maybe I just love the pursuit?). After having their last show in Guelph canceled due to illness this was the make-up show and I wanted to be sure to see them while I still had the chance. I've got this inkling that they have commercial success just around the corner.. Another possibility for my insta-love for them could be that they're from St.John's Newfoundland. Which certainly helps but its more the excellent balladry, piano soft, and guitar rock mix (often within the same track!) that keeps things fresh.
The 6-piece took the stage with Tim on the keys and vocals, slowly leading us in before the band took up the cause. The guitarist played well and sang here and there. The cello and violin were a great addition and shone through (as the violinist's eyes shone on Tim for most of the set). Bass and drums rounded out the sextet.
The first song was off the freshly released Into Your Lungs (and around in your heart and on through your blood) which I'd just bought.. then they threw a couple "oldies" (relative term) at us with my previously mentioned fave "Another Pilot" and then "Lions for Scottie". They won me over early and it seemed as they went on more and more people got onboard. In fact when we looked around near the end of the set we saw that the normally sparsely populated bar was now packed (the most I'd ever seen in there). Just as on CD they mixed slow ("Holy Shit - what a relief") and fast, piano and guitar, to great effect. If they played all night I would have stayed all night. But after a generous show they said goodnight but were immediately met with an encore-worthy round of cheering and soon returned to play Into Your Lungs opener "New Goodbye" as a fitting close to the evening.
(9/10)

It was one of the best performances in recent memory and if they continue (as I know they will) they're going to be winning fans over all across this country. Is it too early to say Polaris '09?
"I told myself look up and believe" sings Tim - and they've given plenty of reason to believe in their bright future.

No comments:

Post a Comment