Monday, June 15, 2009

Polaris Plus

I've spent about 3 minutes with the Polaris Long List - gone through it once. In doing so I also grabbed a bunch I think, at first glance, will/should make the short list.

My 2 cents below..

Vernacular's Shortlist

#!Arkells - Jackson Square
- Solid through and through, but probably not eclectic enough to win it.

#*Coeur De Pirate - Coeur De Pirate
- I haven't even heard this full album, just the couple tracks on the internet but I'm enamoured with her already.

!Elliott Brood - Mountain Meadows
- If this prize was for best live show, they would likely win. This album works because it reminds me of the concert.

!Great Lake Swimmers - Lost Channels
- Another solid effort by GLS.

!Hey Rosetta! - Into Your Lungs
-My favourite album of last summer I'd have to say. And a couple of my fave concerts of the year too. Has a shot at winning.

#!Joel Plaskett - Three!
- Epic in length, yet Joel remains modest and crafts a wonderful set of songs that surprisingly don't bore or tire the listener, without much filler.

#Timber Timbre - Timber Timbre
- The eventual winner. Not my absolute favourite though it is fantastic, however reviewers everywhere have fallen ass over kilter for this album. (Plus they love the solo male artist with a band moniker).

#-Chad VanGaalen - Soft Airplane!
- Former short lister with another solid effort.

#Patrick Watson - Wooden Arms
- My first time actually getting into Patrick Watson - finally I can see what the hype is about. A former winner who won't take the prize simply because of that.

!#Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer
- I'm a sucker for Wolf Parade, and this album is nearly as good as the first. Reflecting on it for a second, they probably won't make the shortlist, but they'd make mine.

Legend
* haven't heard it in entirety

! love it

- like it

# top 10 shortlist

? can't remember if I've heard it

Long List

#!Arkells - Jackson Square

?Jill Barber - Chances

?Beast - Beast

?Bell Orchestre - As Seen Through Windows

*Bison B.C. - Quiet Earth

-Bruce Peninsula - A Mountain Is A Mouth

#*Coeur De Pirate - Coeur De Pirate

*Leonard Cohen - Live In London

-D-Sisive - Let The Children Die

*Elephant Stone - The Seven Seas

!Elliott Brood - Mountain Meadows

?Fucked Up - The Chemistry Of Common Life

!Great Lake Swimmers - Lost Channels

-Handsome Furs - Face Control

*Tim Hecker - An Imaginary Country

!Hey Rosetta! - Into Your Lungs

-Japandroids - Post-Nothing

-Junior Boys - Begone Dull Care

-K'NAAN - Troubadour

-K-OS - YES!

*La patère rose - La patère rose

?Land Of Talk - Some Are Lakes

*Lhasa - Lhasa

-Malajube - Labyrinthes

-Metric - Fantasies

*One Hundred Dollars - Forest Of Tears

-Pink Mountaintops - Outside Love

#!Joel Plaskett - Three

*Snailhouse - Lies On The Prize

-Charles Spearin - The Happiness Project

*Rae Spoon - superioryouareinferior

-The Stills - Oceans Will Rise

-Think About Life - Family

!#Timber Timbre - Timber Timbre

#-Chad VanGaalen - Soft Airplane

*Martha Wainwright - I Know You're Married But I've Got Feelings Too

!#Patrick Watson - Wooden Arms

!#Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer

?Women - Women

*Woodpigeon - Treasury Library Canada C/W Houndstooth Europa

No comments:

Post a Comment