Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Top Albums 2004

  • 1. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
  • 2. Arcade Fire - Funeral
  • 3. Futureheads - The Futureheads
  • 4. Green Day - American Idiot
  • 5. Brian Wilson - Smile
  • 6. Papa Roach - Getting Away with Murder
  • 7. Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South
  • 8. Everlast - White Trash Beautiful
  • 9. Cake - Pressure Chief
  • 10.Nonpoint - Recoil
  • Honourable Mention:

    TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
    The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free

    2006 Note: Despite this being the year when I actually first put a lot of time into ranking this list I find myself wondering why things ended up as they did. First of all, this was also the year I started listening to campus radio charts and things, and hence the inclusion of Cake. The album isn't that incredible (though not at all bad) but it was the first album I saw at the top of the campus charts and therefore in my impressionable head it had to be stellar. Though Arcade Fire is excellent, I was all over Franz when they broke. Futureheads also stuck with me and is still one of my faves. That Everlast one isn't even Whitey's best and shouldn't be on the list but its got some solid cuts. Both the honourable mentions have grown to be personal favourite after spending some more time with me and would actually rank very high on the list if I were to reorder things today. American Idiot is a decent concept album but Grand Don't Come for Free just weaves such a story that makes it an emotional rollercoaster, cresting for the last time with the Empty Cans rewind, and rolling back into the terminal. Every time leaving me feeling a little woozy and light-headed but much better for having taken the ride.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment