Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Top Albums 2005

  • 1. Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die
  • 2. Stars - Set Yourself On Fire
  • 3. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
  • 4. The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
  • 5. Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger
  • 6. Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
  • 7. Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better
  • 8. Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV
  • 9. Beck - Guero
  • 10.The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers
  • Honourable Mention:

    Sons & Daughters - The Repulsion Box
    Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
    Funeral For A Friend - Hours
    Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists

    Late 2004 Picks

    Death From Above 1979 - You're A Woman, I'm A Machine
    K-os - Joyful Rebellion

    2006 Note: This was the year Pitchfork started influencing me heavily. (Funny cuz 2006 is the year it started to fade. I blame it partially on the site layout revamp..) There's tonnes of music listed here and it was just last year so it makes sense that I will stand by most of the selections. Maximo Park and Hard Fi were just catchy albums that caught me, though not overly ambitious or breakthrough in any regard. The Beck album was me again in the "great musician = great album" phase, though it definitely has lost some luster for me. Suffy coulda easily taken any of the three previously mentioned albums' spots, and BSS deserve #4. I really wanted Ten Thousand Fists to be better than it was. With the death of Death from Above 1979 I am grateful that I got into them, though it hurts that much more now. And the fact that I never saw them live though plenty of opportunities will haunt me until my death from the side 2079. The best K-OS album to date was another excellent, though late, pickup. That is a SOLID top three though. Those will be faves for years to come I'm quite sure.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment