Monday, July 20, 2009

Countdown: In 5..

Saturday will be one heckuva full day of music at the Hillside Festival in Guelph, Ontario.

Before the sun has even reached its peak things will have heated up with a collaboration born on some distant planet with ultra-intelligent lifeforms - that being Bruce Peninsula and The Rural Alberta Advantage. That will also allow me to catch at least part of Julie Doiron a couple hours later as her set is in conflict with Bruce Peninsula's.

Playing to a hometown crowd, Green Go are gonna go off I predict.

As much as I'd like to catch the Final Fantasy/Buffy Sainte-Marie/Notre dame de Grass mash-up... Timber Timbre will be given precedence.

Dala will entertain my girlfriend on the mainstage while I watch Hey Rosetta because I love 'em. (Too bad I'll have to miss C.R. Avery who intrigues me with his lyrics and beatboxing).

Library Voices and Silver Starling is a toss-up. Library Voices I've seen and are great, whereas Silver Starling are up-and-coming and look to have a bright future based on their strong past.

Next is another battle royale for my attention - Tokyo Police Club vs Woodhands. Leaning towards the latter..

Wow, these are going to be tough decisions - that, or a lot of running back and forth between stages - as I decide on who will shut down this epic day of performances for me. Either the rocking Hamiltonians - The Arkells, or the Toronto alt-country trio of The Sunparlour Players. Having just seen SPP recently, and loving the Arkells awhile back, the Hammer may win my attention.

Suffice to say, Saturday will be a whirlwind with nary a moment to rest. Hopefully sleeping in a tent won't hinder my ability to keep the energy levels up. Feng's Dumplings, Lemongrass and Wellington must be my fuel.

2 comments:

  1. My Sat is similar to yours. I'm torn between Bruce Peninsula and Julie Doiron. Also I was set on Arkells killer live show, but your review on Sunparlour Players is swayingme...I've never seen them...what to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on this review (and subsequent comment) of Bruce I feel as if going to check Julie's first couple songs will be about all I can miss - and then heading over to BP once they've built things up to a boil.

    http://www.nxew.ca/2009/07/bruce-peninsula-face-melting-gospel.html

    SPP have a uniquely fun show, whereas the Arkells straight-up rock. Tough call, but either way you won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete