Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hillside '09 Sunday (Gentleman Reg, Winter Gloves, More!)

Winter Gloves
French or English? Winter Gloves spoke only 'Party' during their mid-afternoon Island stage soiree. With keys and synth abounding they started the dance party with their opening number - Factories - and didn't look back from there. The mustached drummer did his best to get people moving, and yes, his best was good enough. Once I'd noted the xylophone and electronic drum pad I thought I could leave, since I'd figured out their modus operandi, but just couldn't tear myself away as I was having too much fun.

Gentleman Reg
The former long-time Guelphite has been riding the Jet Black wave for some time and with good cause. Though I didn't love the album initially it has definitely grown on me since I last saw Gentleman Reg play a UoG noon-hour concert a few months ago. With increased familiarity with his tunes I was able to take more away from this set than the previous. For example I've really come to like-like (I won't say love due to commitment phobia) the song To Some It Comes Easy and this rendition with two female backing vocalists was up to par. Anther favourite (and Radio3 single) How We Exit also went over well; filled out into a more rockin' version with the four-piece band accompanying Reg. You Can't Get It Back floated by like the blown bubbles in the air. As noted before, Reg's singing voice is beautiful but takes a back seat when he brings the ramped up versions of his songs live. It seems slightly unfortunate to me that this is lost, but just as I was lamenting this fact Reg drastically slowed things down with a soft and lovely version of Rewind. As he asks in that song "Is this what you wanted to see?" and the response is a resounding "Yes".

Arianna Gillis
Unfortunately I could not finish the set with Reg as I was set to meet friends for the last of Ariana Gillis on the Lake Stage. Even more unfortunate was that as we arrived she said those fateful words "This will be our last song" and proceeded to a play a silly number about floating in a blueberry sea - complete with all bandmembers donning snorkel gear. I feel that I didn't get a legitimate taste of what she could do.

Melissa McClelland, The Witchies
Where with Melissa McClelland even though I didn't get a good look at her I did enjoy what I could hear while also enjoying my lunch outside the tent. However this meant I was to be disappointed when I arrived at The Witchies set only for them to wind down their final song just as I was settling in. Gonna have to try and catch another glimpse of them as they seem to have promise.

Gospel Hour, Kick Out the Jams

The Lake Stage workshop with Fred, Eccodek and Delhi 2 Dublin had the crowd eating out of their hands - as a command for everyone in the tent to get-on-up was obeyed by nearly everyone. Who wouldn't want to get up and dance to this hugely fun mix of world music on a Sunday morning? (or at least to catch a glimpse of that violinist's white-blonde-and-purple hair? -pictured). Gotta say they were moving me (spiritually and physically) more here than at the Gospel Hour. Despite all the hype (ie:people getting seats over an hour in advance) the 20 or so people on stage, and additional 10 (if not more) sidestage for the gospel hour just weren't blowing me away. Mind you I was there for the first hour when they were getting warmed up, and missed the apparently blow-you-away version of Sexual Healing. Since I didn't see it, I can't comment.

Great Lake Swimmers
Great Lake Swimmers stuck to a similar setlist as Hillside Inside just this past February so I was content with laying in the grass to listen (and not watch) them run through Pulling on a Line, Moving Pictures, Silent Film, Your Rocky Spine, Various Stages and I am a Part of a Large Family again.

Full Sunday Reviews
(The following sets were all reviewed separately - follow the links!)
Sunday was a mucky day - with the giant thunderstorm and lightning strike just before Clues and the downpour that was no match for Final Fantasy. Despite the rain, or perhaps to spite it, there were many great performances such as Patrick Watson's - though he enjoyed some sunshine as did Dancehall Free For All. There was also a coming out party for the Rural Alberta Advantage as they are destined for big things. Solid end to Mudslide, er Hillside.

No comments:

Post a Comment