Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Polaris Shortlist Reaction

In keeping with my polaris coverage - I'll give you my initial reaction and fire it off without much thought.

Well I went 6 for 10 which is barely a passing grade of D. Somewhat disappointed in neither of my buzzed darkhorses, Coeur de Pirate and Timber Timbre, making the short list. Guess that means my overall prediction of TT is absolutely wrong!

Of the four new ones, Metric is okay but pretty boring really. K'naan deserves it and is doing something unique at least - probably my fave of these four. Granted the only short list album I haven't heard (or at least haven't listened to) is Fucked Up - so I guess I'll have to check it out. Malajube was alright - perhaps I didn't get into it because it is french (so I can't sing along as easy) and perhaps it made the short list because it is french (and they wanted to diversify)?

I can see why the Arkells didn't make it - their album is solid but not too different and really it is their live show that makes it. On that note, I'm pleased to see that Elliott Brood slipped in! Also somewhat understandable that Wolf Parade didn't make it since this album didn't even surpass their own debut.

Gotta say I'd be underwhelmed if any of Joel, Metric, GLS won.

Having to make a new prediction of my winner I will root for Hey Rosetta! and say K'naan also deserves it (and make a point of sitting down with the Fucked Up album).

Short list follows the jump!
1. Elliott Brood - Mountain Meadows
2. F*cked Up - Chemistry of Common Life
3. Great Lake Swimmers - Lost Channels
4. Hey Rosetta! - Into Your Lungs
5. K'naan - Troubador
6. Malajube - Labrinths
7. Metric - Fantasies
8. Joel Plaskett - Three
9. Chad Vangaalen - Soft Airplane
10. Patrick Watson - Wooden Arms

No comments:

Post a Comment