Thursday, July 23, 2009

Countdown to Tomorrow

I suppose that title is misleading as this post actually focuses on Sunday but it follows suit of my Friday and Saturday plans. And Hillside IS tomorrow, which is worth highlighting.

Perhaps (perhaps) my most anticipated performer of the entire weekend plays Sunday - that being Final Fantasy who has captivated me each time I've seen him. Perhaps (perhaps) one of my top-3 all-time performers period. For those unfamiliar with Final Fantasy's live show - it is a one-man whirlwind of violin looping, plucking, tapping and bowing and it's incredible. For a show review you can read more though it still doesn't capture it so I encourage checking this out for yourself (and skipping the bizarre "Moonwalking" tribute to MJ).

Guelph represents in the form of Dancehall Free For All's triumphant return (3rd paragraph) to the festival that started it all(okay, maybe it didn't start it all, but definitely gave them a huge boost). Look here for a glimpse of their show (mind you this was before the recently released and highly listenable second album).

Another (ex)Guelphite is.. Gentleman Reg who gets a lot of love in these parts. Solid.

Clues from the Pop Montreal show will hopefully live up to their excellent debut album.

Also looking forward to catching The Rural Alberta Advantage and Patrick Watson for the first time.

I'll see if there's time for Hillside faves - Great Lake Swimmers who are good, if somewhat plain live. Maybe I've just seen them too many times without trying (plus opening for Feist in Kitchener that I apparently didn't review).

Also I'll likely check into Winter Gloves too and see if they can get the island stage jumping.

I'm debating getting up in time to catch what looks to be a pretty funky workshop Sunday morning - Delhi 2 Dublin, Eccodek and Fred - see how late the drumming circle goes in volunteer camping Saturday night I suppose. Thanks to Josh's comments I may be up anyway for the Gospel Hour which apparently shouldn't be missed.

See you all there! Over and out until the reviews start flowing in here next week.

No comments: