Monday, July 05, 2010

Canada Day Odds (Hey Rosetta, Cadence Weapon, K-OS)


Many people were complaining of the lack of headliners on and around Parliament Hill for this year's Canada Day (who are BNL without Steven Paige anyway?). Considering the entire day was free and included Shad, Elliott Brood, Owen Pallett and Hannah Georgas (who I missed unfortunately) I wasn't complaining! There was also an appearance from the Queen (as in "of England") who I also missed, but Hey Rosetta didn't pass me by. It would have been easy for them to though considering they took the stage in front of a ridiculously large crowd and only played Red Heart (c'mon, one song organizers?!) Also caught poet laureate, Cadence Weapon, do a cut I didn't recognize (likely from his forthcoming LP).

Most of the K-OS set was heard from the portapotty line-up. As usual it seemed playful, with a full band, two drum sets and plenty of riff sampling ranging from Black Sabbath to Journey to U2. K-OS also sang some of his own tracks like Crabbuckit and Sunday Morning with the operative word being "some" as he casually omits lines here and there much to my chagrin. With minutes to fireworks he broke out the O.C.-theme sampling I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman and very clumsily swapped out the lyrics from "California" to "Ottawa City". Let's just say in comparison to K-OS the fireworks really went off!

No comments:

Post a Comment